Saturday, November 29, 2008

Mini Vacation!

4th day off from work! One more day to go! Sweet! I started my mini vacation last Wednesday at one of my favorite places...the hair salon! There are so many little joys at the salon...the anticipation of a new fabulous do, the massage when they rinse your hair (I taught Shawn how to do this!!), the warm dryer over your cold hair...anyways...I absolutely love my cut and color. Check out pics down below!
I baked up a storm Wednesday night. Actually, I baked up to much of a storm..I was up until 2 baking! As usual, when I go out, I go alllllllllll the way out and took on a little too much. After I baked 3 (yes 3!) cakes, I ended up decorating only 1 of them. It took a good 3 hours..I make the icing from scratch. But, I was very happy w/ the result...I think it turned out super cute! I didn't have the pattern for the turkeys so I had to modify (ooohhh Shawn would be so proud!). I stuck toothpicks through a big and mini marshmellow and attached it to the side of the cake and then covered them with brown icing. They were actually supposed to have little orange feet and beaks and little feathers...but I very much ran out of steam at 2am! The cake made it to dinner pretty okay...only one turkey lost his head somewhere...he he he...Shawn may find a chocolate marshmellow somewhere under the seat this week. Oh can you imagine his expression!!!




I had a fantastic Thanksgiving with Shawn and his family! We arrived at 4:15 (yes, an hour and 15 minutes late because of me...explanation below). Shawn's sister, Stacie, was able to come up from Orlando and his grandmother is living with his parents so we had a full table. I found out that I actually like squash! Especially when it has cinnamon and marshmellows on top :-) We ate and then all went into turkey comas! I almost fell asleep on their couch!





I've been getting horrible migraines the last 6 or 7 days. I'm changing over some medication and I think that might have something to do with it...So, I did oversleep on my nap on Thanksgiving!
Shawn and I spent a wonderful day together. We went down to Atlantic Station at 9:30 this morning and went to two exhibits: In the Dark and Bodies. We started at In the Dark. It was wild! You have to put all your stuff in lockers and then they give you a cane. You are put in groups of 10 and you have a guide throughout the experience. You walked through different rooms in complete darkness!! And I mean COMPLETE darkness..you can't even see your hand in front of your face. You have to feel around, using all your other senses, and discover where you are. It was absolutely amazing to feel so alone and be so unsure of where you are. It's really supposed to help you imagine what it's like for a visually impaired person and our guide, we found out, is actually blind. At the end, you sit with her and ask questions and discuss the experience. I highly recommend this! Then we went on to the Bodies exhibit. Many of my friends and fam expressed their distaste for this exhibit, but I found it fascinating. I recognized so many of the names of the parts of the body because of my horrible biology and anatomy/physiology classes, but this really broke down everything and let you see the parts individually. Some super cool parts....all the arteries and veins highlighted in the body. Dye was put in them and that was what stood out. The display featuring the central nervous system. It was amazing seeing the layout and how they are all connected. I also really like the female anatomy section. Yes, I suppose I should know all this...but I didn't really know how some of my parts were shaped and how small they actually are. Seeing a heart, with all the chambers and ventricles was awesome too!






We continued our date day at the Atlantic Grille. We were trying to go somewhere we hadn't been. Ugh...it was Southern bar food. TIG! They love damn "bar food" here! Finally, we did a little shopping :-) It was a great spending time with my sweetie :-) xoxo, Jill

No comments:

Followers